Thursday, February 16, 2012

Will you be mine?


Let’s be honest. Even if Valentine’s Day is a totally ridiculous holiday that forces up the prices of pretty things that girls like and doesn’t focus on guys much, if at all, it’s still nice to get something for Valentine’s Day. A couple of years ago, one of my college friends who had just started her masters/doctorate program out in LA sent me a really sweet valentine. In fact, it’s still proudly displayed in my cube at work. This year, however, E totally stepped up to the plate. :)

Confession: He told me a couple weeks before V-Day that he had no idea what to do to be romantic. So I took it upon myself to write him a note listing acceptable gifts. I don’t remember exactly what I said, but it was something like
  1. A single rose
  2. Dove chocolates
  3. Something pretty (scarf, necklace, etc.)
Selfish? Probably. But you’ll also notice that I kept everything inexpensive. Not a dozen roses. Not some super expensive food item (Seriously, though. Is there anything better than those little foil-wrapped chocolates? No.).

The result?



A cute little vase filled with yellow carnations and sweet little purple flowers that I’m sure someone could name. A small teddy bear hugging the vase (he called that the “something pretty”). And a WHOLE BAG of Dove milk chocolates. *sigh* What a guy.

He decided to skip class take the night off so we could spend time together. Since Valentine’s Day was on a Tuesday, we decided to go to one of our favorite local restaurants, The Tavern Grill. Yeah, it was packed and, even though they don't take reservations, the hostess asked if we had them and then informed us that they were "booked solid until 9". Evidently “Tuesday” didn’t matter. Also, who eats at 9? (I've done it... crap.) So we went to a local sandwich shop instead and spent our meal with 6 other couples that seemed to all have infants in car seats. I suspect it was so they could make a quick get-away should Baby decide that they were done eating and needed to pay attention to Baby instead of their subs. Either way, it was one of the best Valentine’s Day celebrations I’ve ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment